Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Fabulous Forties

Photobucket

Just like its name, Choice’s 40th issue re-launch party was indeed.... well, fabulous. There simply isn’t any better word to describe it. But before I go into the whole spill about why the party’s just so wonderful (and why you shouldn’t have missed it, haha), let me clarify some essentials....

Firstly, I was an absolute disastrous and inadequate paparazzi. Taking part in the Sandisk/Choices paparazzi competition, I thought the task was simple. After all, how tough could snapping a couple of pictures and writing a blog entry about your honest opinions be? Not to mention, I’ll receive a SanDisk 8GB MicroSDHC for FREE. Free! How could any true-blue Singaporean resist this?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Turns out to be, being paparazzi isn’t as easy as it seems on TheSuperficial and PerezHilton (two of my favourite sites). Your most basic equipment, the camera, needs to be of a substantial standard. As you can see from below, my pictures are horrible. Bad lighting plus lousy mobile phone camera just don’t mix.

Photobucket

Second tip to become a brilliant paparazzi: Make sure that your device is charged to full power before heading out! I stupidly forgot, and within half an hour of the party, my mobile phone died. Which explains my lack of pictures. The hot models and hot men (woo-hoo!) only drifted in after, which was very unfortunate.

And I’ve digressed! Pardon my rant. Back to the topic of the Fabulous Forties.

Held at Thumper, Goodwood Park Hotel, it is right beside Far East Plaza (read: very accessible). Prior to the event, at approximately 6:45 pm or so, the sky started pouring. Initially, I thought that it would mean a lack of attendance, but boy, was I in for a surprise! The place was packed! Like sardines. Thankfully, a friend had reserved a seat for me and I found myself sitting quite comfortably in a corner.

Honestly, I didn’t move around much in the event (No way was I going to give up my seat!). It was just too crowded. Nonetheless, I had fun catching up with ex-colleagues/friends/acquaintances that I haven’t met in a long time, plus chatting and mingling with friends of friends/random strangers/cute guys! Not to mention, the limitless free alcoholic beverages made the atmosphere really, really friendly. Oh, and on a random note, the meatballs at the buffet table were mouth-watering good.

Photobucket

It’s hard to describe what went on…. You have to be there to feel and experience it for yourself. So boo-hoo if you didn’t go; I enjoyed myself immensely.

All in all, the party was great heaps of fun! Food and drinks were delectable, people were beautiful and the music, head-bopping. One gripe I had though…. There were no drunken people or bitch fights. Now that’s something that would have spiced things up a little.... ;)

- Cheryl Hoon, The Fabulous Forties Paparazzi