Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Hard Day’s Night

I almost couldn’t make it to Choices’ Fabulous Forties party since the day’s work ended with me totally exhausted. I was glad that I made it there though, albeit an hour late.... because the goodie bag made me very pleased!

I heart the Meiji collagen powder the most because I’ve been wanting to try it.... and they gave us a week’s supply of it! Plus Sally Hansen and I Nuovi products that I would have considered a splurge as I don’t spend too much on cosmetics. I also got to read Choices for the first time, and it turned out that I was wrong about the type of mag it was. It was more informative than I thought it was, and I liked the fact that it introduces a place or product by writing an article on it instead of merely mentioning its name.
Back to the party.

The club was PACKED when we went in, and it was rather quiet as there was something happening on stage. I edged forward only to see the top of Nita’s head and the emcee saying, “Thank you everybody.”

And so my friends and I went in only to see the end of the event.

So we decided to stand around, to check people out and to be checked out, as per the drill of clubbing and partying. The bar was as packed as when we came in, but the potential of the crowd to engage in people watching seem to take away the frustration of individuals waiting in line for 15 minutes for a glass of bourbon coke.

I was supposed to be the Fabulous Forties Paparazzi, and notable mini celebs were amongst the crowd which I, if I were true to my profession, would have snapped pictures of them unknowingly to capture their worst moments. But alas, the active “looking at others looking at me” radar was on high alert in them that I gave up giving them the ego ride and took random pictures of frustrated and thirsty people waiting by the bar.

Photobucket

My friend, Peiting, and I were distracted by the PS consoles on stage and decided to give it a shot. Peiting, who urged me to be more sociable instead of looking at technology, attempted the game and was even more hooked onto it than I am. The irony of this girl is that she’s an irony even before she becomes an irony. (She’s so gonna make this an analytical process and intellectual discussion....)

Photobucket

So it was booze (for my friends) and chit-chatting.... and photo-taking.*

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The buffet made everyone very very happy too, as you can see from Sam’s affirmative look.

Photobucket

The most exciting part of the party is perhaps the lucky draw section. The thought of getting something for free naturally put everyone to a high. It was funny to see people scampering around and looking at their invites. Some acted cool, some were enthusiastic, and I pretended not to care while I went around taking photos.

“Pretended” is key, because in fact, I wished I won the Meiji hamper. A guy walked away with it I recall.... I don’t even want to post his picture up.

Photobucket

And so it is, a hard day’s night, ended with a kick ass goodie bag, and Peiting getting drunk and thus the photo-taking ended in fear of her puking on my camera. Haha.

Thank you Nita for the invite!

*And I mean lots of pictures! I’ve just received an 8GB memory card courtesy of SanDisk – I will need to take many more party pictures before I fill it up....

- Ivy Lam, The Fabulous Forties Paparazzi